Recognizing & Responding Online Course
Please read all of the information on this page before starting the course.
Prevent Child Abuse North Carolina provides this, and other courses, to North Carolina citizens free of charge through support from the North Carolina Division of Social Services and the generosity of our supporters. We welcome contributions to help us continue to provide these services for professionals and concerned citizens interested in promoting the well-being of families across North Carolina. Use the orange button at the top right of the screen to make a donation.
NOTE: The Spanish version of this course is currently unavailable. We hope to be able to offer this valuable resource in the near future.
At the end of this course you will understand:
- The signs and symptoms of child maltreatment
- North Carolina mandatory reporting laws
- The legal definitions of abuse and neglect
- How and where to make a referral of suspected child maltreatment
- Barriers to reporting and some strategies for overcoming them
- Where to find additional resources
PCANC Self-Guided Online Course Format
We are pleased to offer this course on our new E-learning platform. During the past year, we’ve worked hard to implement several features to improve your learning experience—all the same content but in an easier-to-use format.
- You will be asked to Register with a login and password. Because this is a self-guided course, you may pause to read at your own pace or log in or out at any time.
- Text may be small and difficult to view on a mobile device, and some features may not operate normally. If you experience problems on mobile, please switch to a laptop or desktop.
- For best results, use earbuds or headphones.
- The average time spent completing the material is around 2 hours.
- The Resources menu contains a PDF of the full course available for viewing or printing at any time.
- After completing this course with a score of at least 80%, you may save or print your Certificate of Completion.
- If you don’t have a printer, check your inbox. You will automatically receive an email with a PDF of your Certificate after passing the Quiz.
We strongly recommend that you retain the emailed or printed copy for your own records. Employers and schools do not routinely keep these beyond your employment, so you’ll want to have your own copy.
We only have access to course Quiz results for the previous 12 calendar months. If you completed the course:
- BEFORE NOVEMBER 2018, you will need to show evidence (saved or printed) of your result from that time. If you don’t have that, you will need to retake the course.
- NOVEMBER 2018 to PRESENT:
– Use your username/password to login to the course to retrieve a copy;
– OR check your email inbox for a message from PCANC (sent the day you passed the quiz) with a PDF of your certificate attached (check Spam/Junk).
At the end of this course, you will be guided through several survey questions. Your feedback is important and will help us improve and develop future versions of this course. Thank you for your participation.
If you experience problems or need assistance at any time during the course, check the Resources menu. If you don’t find the answer you need there, or the problem persists, please send an email to Theresa Ryan at email@example.com or call 919-256-6613.
We DO NOT have a 24-hour Help Desk. Calls and emails will be addressed as soon as possible during normal business hours.
If you have any problem with the course, please don’t wait to contact us. Let us know as soon as possible so we can be of assistance!