Onslow County (T.A.S.C.O)
The task force was formed and renamed as TASCO – Turning Adversity into Success for Children in Onslow. TASCO was abruptly halted by Hurricane Florence in September 2018 and throughout the recovery process, then began meeting again in January 2019. TASCO identified the local “backbone” agency as PEERS Family Development Center to bring the community together for the collective impact project. Their comptroller is United Way of Onslow County. In March 2020, TASCO was once again halted by COVID-19; however, in October 2020, Onslow’s CPAP was recognized by their county/city Board of Commissioners and they have a completed Resolution of Support.
The Community Prevention Action Plan is under construction.
Onslow County plans to prevent child maltreatment
- Gaining and Understanding of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)
- Schedule or attend: “Resilience: The Biology of Stress and the Science of Hope”
- Bringing the Protective Factors Framework to Life in Your Work
- Stewards of Children® – Darkness to Light
- Connections Matter
- Join in or host a Parent and/or Community Café
- Helping Children Identify and Manage Emotions
- Attend evidence-based or evidence-informed parenting classes offered at PEERS Family Development Center, Onslow County Partnership for Children, and on base through Family Advocacy Program/Community Counseling Centers.
- Teach each other how to talk about emotions and allow children to see adults processing emotions. It is OK to have emotions and it is OK to talk about them. This helps in developing safe, stable, and nurturing environments.