Prevent Child Abuse North Carolina does not handle reports of child maltreatment.
Learn how to report suspected child maltreatment and find more resources.
- Please make your report of suspected child abuse or neglect to the county Department of Social Services (DSS) where the child lives; visit the Directory for all local county DSS contacts described below.
- If you provide your contact information when making the report, you will receive a notification as to whether Child Protective Services (CPS) will or will not investigate the case. If the CPS worker assigned to the case determines there will not be an investigation, you may contact the CPS Supervisor.
- If you are still not satisfied with the outcome after contacting the CPS Supervisor, you may contact the Director of the local DSS and state your concerns.
- If you are not satisfied with the outcome at the local DSS level, call the Child Welfare Policy Consultation Team within the NC Division of Social Services at 919-527-6340, and Administrative Support Staff will direct your call to the next available consultant.
If you Suspect Child Maltreatment in a Child-Care Setting
- Reports of maltreatment at licensed OR unlicensed child care facilities may be made to the Regulatory Services Section Division of Child Development and Early Education by calling: 919-527-6640 / 800-859-0829 or (In-State only) / 919-527-6500 or (Fax) 919-715-1013.
- To determine resolution: You may request a copy of the complaint visit summary four to six weeks after making a report by calling 1-800-859-0829 to speak with a file room clerk.
- Click here for more information