By: Kristie Demers, Prevent Child Abuse NC Communications Coordinator
Posted: March 2018
As I’m sure you already know, April is Child Abuse Prevention Month. It is a time to honor the children we are raising today by creating a movement that will build safe, stable, nurturing homes and communities in North Carolina for years to come.
- It is a time to celebrate the great childhoods all children deserve.
- It is a time to recognize where we have been, where we want to go, and what it will take to get there.
- It is a time to ask yourself, “What am I doing to support children and families in North Carolina?”
- It is a time to create your plan of action!
As the Communications Coordinator for Prevent Child Abuse North Carolina, I am on the road meeting people from different sectors on a regular basis. And although the people I’m meeting range from government agencies to restaurant management to community groups to grade-school children, I often get asked the same question, “How can I help prevent child abuse?”
The answer is simple: You don’t have to work directly with children and families to make a difference (but of course we applaud those who do that work throughout the year!). In fact, you just sitting there being you, taking the time out of your day to read this is exactly what we need.
We need passionate people who want to promote the importance of investing in prevention efforts! We need you! That’s why we challenge you to do a little more and complete as many tasks on our list below as you can!
Seven simple ways to show support during Child Abuse Prevention Month:
1. Raise Awareness on Social Media
Start by following us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn so you can stay educated, spread awareness, and learn more about prevention efforts across the state.
Share and retweet our posts to educate your networks about prevention! Want to take your social advocacy to the next level? Visit our Social Media Toolkit for more tips and ways to raise awareness using social media!
2. Plant a Pinwheel Home Kit
Plant a pinwheel garden in your own front yard! The Pinwheel Home Kit is affordable at $33 ($23 for Prevention Network Members) and includes 24 pinwheels and a yard sign. The pinwheels are versatile and can be used in many different spaces, for example, I’ll be planting my pinwheels in flower pots on my patio at my apartment! Order your Pinwheel Materials. And of course, share a photo of your pinwheel garden using the hashtags #PassThePinwheel and #GreatChildhoods.
3. Wear Blue
Wear blue on Friday, April 7 for Wear Blue Day, take a selfie, and share on your social media channels with the hashtags #PassthePinwheel & #GreatChildhoods. One of our Implementation Support Specialists said she just might dust off an as-tacky-as-it-sounds old blue prom dress for a special social media photo-opp! But don’t worry; you can wear a blue button-up shirt, blouse, t-shirt, dress, blue jeans, tie or other accessories if you don’t have any blue vintage prom attire lying around.
4. Attend Local Child Abuse Prevention Month Events
You can help prevent child abuse by attending a press conference to show solidarity, volunteering to plant pinwheels with local organizations, running a 5k, eating ramen noodles (yes, you read that right), or taking your kids to the park!
Round up your family, friends, or coworkers and join us at any of the following events: Click the link in each for more details. *UPDATE as of May 1, 2018: These events are now over
- March 31, 10:00AM-11:00AM – Meck4Kids Press Conference to Kick-Off Child Abuse Prevention Month. Join us outside the Mecklenburg County Courthouse in Charlotte, NC.
- April 4, 1:30PM -3:00PM – Pinwheels in Parks kick-off in Nash Square Downtown Raleigh – presented in partnership by Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department. Register to volunteer at one of four other park locations at 2:30pm.
- April 4, 11:30AM-9:30PM – Torii Noodle Bar’s 2nd Annual $1 Ramen Noodle Day. We knew you would be hungry after all the pinwheels you plant this April! So head to Torii Noodle Bar by Kanki in Raleigh, NC for $1 bowls of ramen (regular $12.95). Dine-in only. One per customer. All proceeds support PCANC.
- April 8, 8:00AM-12:00PM – Run the River 5k – benefiting CARE at The John 3:16 Center. 5k held at the Roanoke Canal Museum and Trail in Roanoke Rapids, NC.
- April 9, 2:00PM-3:00PM – American Tobacco Campus pinwheel garden sponsored by Capitol Broadcasting Company (CBC). Join us in planting 2,000 pinwheels in Durham, NC.
- April 15, 10:00AM-12:00PM – Family Fun Day at Pullen Park hosted by Wake County Human Services in partnership with Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department.
- April 20, 12:00PM-1:00PM – WRAL pinwheel garden sponsored by CBC. Join us in planting 2,000 pinwheels at the WRAL / Fox50 campus in Raleigh, NC.
- April 30, 12:00PM-6:00PM – Pinwheels for Prevention Family Fun Day hosted by the Exchange Family Center at Wheels Fun Park in Durham, NC.
5. Double Your Donation!
Thanks to the ChildTrust Foundation, all donations will be matched up to $75,000 through June 30, 2017. With your donation, you can help us build safe, stable, nurturing homes and communities where children can thrive!
6. Start a Fundraising Campaign
Start a campaign! It’s quick and easy to create your own fundraising page. By becoming a fundraiser you can create your own account, join or start a team, and get others involved! Pledge your birthday, challenge your friends or coworkers to compete with you, or encourage donations to celebrate a parent or guardian that had an impact on you.
7. Purchase a Kids First License Plate
Raise awareness on the roads with a Kids First specialty license plate. When you purchase a Kids First specialty license plate, $15 of the plate fee is returned to local communities in the form of grants to organizations implementing child abuse and neglect prevention programs.
Invite us to speak to your group (civic, faith group, school, government agency, nonprofit) about strategies that strengthen families and prevent child abuse and neglect. Contact me at email@example.com or 919-829-8009 ext. 619.
THANK YOU for your support and spreading awareness about the importance of investing in the great childhoods all children deserve during Child Abuse Prevention Month!